Quilt Testers In Action

Quilt Testers In Action

Pages

Monday, February 21, 2011

A Little Late, But Done

This year, Three Creative Studios is running a monthly color palette challenge. The one that just finished was supposed to be done on February 15th, but I didn't quite make that deadline. That was mainly because I really disliked what I was making, and I tossed it aside on February 14th!

The original quilt was a landscape. I decided to simplify, and make a tile-like design, that implied a landscape.

"Set Free The Wind", 12" square

I cut back the tile to add the tree. Before doing the quilting, I added a thread-sketched figure of a woman/goddess.


I intended to go around the figure one more time during the quilting, but I liked the way she seemed to float above the tile, so I didn't end up doing that .The quilting was done by stitching around the tiles.  If I do another piece in this style, I will try stitching  down the tiles before layering the quilt, and have the "grout" be the quilted part.


The hair might remind you of a young lady who appears on this blog quite often. But, I should probably say that the Daughter's nose is smaller and cuter.

More pictures from this challenge can be found here. Check them out, there is some pretty amazing work.

9 comments:

Lisa said...

This is absolutely gorgeous Karen. I can't tell you in words how much I'm in love with it.

Mary Grace McNamara said...

Awesome Karen! Love love love the hair, in stitches and in real life! People pay big bucks to get hair like that! Not some of us though!

Nice colors too! I love that blue fabric on the edge.

MGM

Gina said...

Beautiful quilt!

birdlady said...

Beautiful, Karen!

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

I love it girlfriend! The hair on that fair maiden is lovely.
A little surprise is on it's way to you. I think you will enjoy it!
xx, shell

Katie :o) said...

Wow! I LOVE it!!!!! What a whimsical, exuberant work of art! LOVE IT! LOVE IT! LOVE IT!

Michele Matucheski said...

Love the Goddess thread sketch!

Crafty Green Poet said...

this is so beautiful, I love the tile effect

Karen S said...

I love the thread sketch. And I like your idea of quilting in the grout. Would you do the thread sketch after the quilting then?