Quilt Testers In Action

Quilt Testers In Action

Pages

Friday, August 6, 2010

Friday In The Garden

This week in the garden, it's all about the yellow. The birds planted this sunflower in my lettuce.


The vegetable garden is also awash with blooming dill plants.


We have lots of squash blossoms this year, but I waited too late in the day to take the picture.


There is zucchini. Usually I am the only person in the world who can't grow zucchini, but it's growing this year.  We also have spaghetti squash, which is a pale yellow, even though it looks white in the picture.


I would show you the wax beans, but we ate them!

Outside the vegetable garden, we still have daylilies,


and Black-Eyed Susans.


We have a tall  coreopsis, that looks like the regular shorter coreopsis, except it's 6-8 feet tall.


We also have this really cool plant called a Cupplant, that is a native prairie plant. It looks similar to a sunflower, but it grows much taller. It's about 12 feet tall this year, but in past years it has been much taller.


The interesting part about this plant, is the way the leaves join the stem, forming a small cup.


These cups collect rainwater. Supposedly birds will drink from the cups when they can't find other water. I haven't seen that, but I have seen these plants absolutely swarmed by Goldfinches when the seeds are ripe!

Another splash of yellow in the garden is the large patch of Goldenrod blocking the view of the birdbath.


Perhaps I should actually do some WEEDING? Probably not happening this weekend, though.
Have a fun (and full of yellow sun) weekend, everybun!

2 comments:

Katie :o) said...

Beautiful gardens! I enjoyed seeing the dill plants. Dill has been my favorite herb for the past few months (favorite herb changes regularly)! I've been using it in everything. Wonderful in pasta with a little bit of olive oil. Ummmm... not so great in pepper and onions stir-fry.

Karen S said...

Lovely pictures, Karen. I can't seem to grow zucchini this year at all. But my tomatoes and chiles are amazing!