Quilt Testers In Action

Quilt Testers In Action

Pages

Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Catching Up

Hi, everybun! Did you miss me yesterday? No worries, I was still writing poetry. I was also struggling with my new laptop. It's a big jump from Vista to Windows 8! And it's not helped by the fact that I've been using a tablet lately, and I keep trying to swipe a non-touch screen. Took me 7 years to be completely comfortable with the old laptop, so I guess I can't expect miracles. I like lists of things, so Windows 8 is not easy for me. How about you? Have you tried it? What's easier for you, the old desktop, or the new system?

Now that you know what I've been up to, we can get down to business. First, yesterday's poem. Inspired not only by junk mail, but also by the rainy morning.

*******************************  
 
 

It is an effort to open the shade

Covering the front window.

The layers of white sky

Seem resistant to the sun’s efforts.

There is no blue lagoon to see outside,

Only the slate grey pond,

Embellished with lacy ripples by

The falling teardrops.

Today it will be easier to leave

My shirttail untucked.
 
******************************* 
 
Today's poem was inspired by a page from the Seed's of Change catalog. The Golden Bantam is actually a variety of corn!
 
******************************* 


In the sun, the Golden Bantam’s head shines a true gold.
The feathers across his back and wings are a deep gold,  
And his plump breast fades to a soft, buttery yellow.
He struts across the yard looking satisfied,
Having enjoyed an early spring harvest of succulent seedlings.
Endive, escarole, and dandelion have all been snatched from the earth
Before they could form their ruffled rosettes of crispy leaves.
And this year, the collard greens will never have a chance
To grow sweeter with the frosts of fall.
But, what I will miss most are the round heads of radicchio,
Their red leaves shot through with veins of white.
I like to drizzle them with olive oil and grill them.
The heat transforms their bitter taste into something more.
Perhaps in the radicchio’s place,
I will grill the bantam
To a rich golden brown.
 
 
 
******************************* 
 
Now, I need to hurry off to Staples before yoga class. Seems the old laptop is so old, it is giving the youngsters there some trouble as they try to retrieve my most recent pictures. It's always something, isn't it?

3 comments:

Scout and Sage said...

Let me help you with your Windows 8 woes.. :)

http://blog.laptopmag.com/make-windows-8-like-windows-7

Little Miss Titch said...

we had to get a new computer before christmas,and I didn't mind trying windows 8 but Nick wanted 7 so thats what we had,my dad has 8 on his new laptop,it give's him a bit of trouble,the only thing I would say is to make sure you have the 8.1 version of windows 8 if you don't have a touch screen,you will get used to it it just takes a bit of time,xx Rachel

RG said...

Boy you are sticking with the poetry - good going! And nice work. I too often shudder to open the blinds ... but on other days it is a great joy!