It was -8.6°F on the deck this morning. The wood cracked like gunshots when I stepped out on it. Right now it's made it all the way up to 8.8°F. Yuck! I don't mind the snow, but the cold I can do without. It's a good day to stay inside and work on some projects.
Last week I showed you the beginning of an experiment with flour-paste resist. Here is the result.
Can I tell you how much I love this? The crackle reduced the visibility of the words that I carved into the flour paste, making them quite subtle. They actually show up a touch more in the photo than in real life.
In some spots, the paint seemed to bleed a little. Perhaps I mixed the paint slightly too runny?
In the close-up below, the "o" and part of the swirl are thicker. These are spots where I went back over my lines in the flour-paste after some time had passed. The paste pulled back away from the skewer, leaving a wider opening in the crust. An effect to be aware of, and perhaps used for a specific purpose at another time.
This is definitely something I will do again, although because of the space and the time involved, I will probably do more of it in the summer. Then again, there is that kind of bland snow-dyed fabric that I made earlier in the winter that might need a little crackle....
If you give this a try, drop me a note. It would be cool to see some pieces that other people have made. Now I'm going to go bake some bread, to try and warm this house up a bit!