Quilt Testers In Action

Quilt Testers In Action

Pages

Thursday, February 16, 2012

First UFO Done!

Well, all done except a wash to remove the last of the chalk markings from the grid in the outer border. It grew a bit from the original square. I added everything starting with the yellow borders, to make it  larger and  rectangular.


 I quilted the yellow center pretty densely, to make the butterflies and flowers pop. This meant I ended up putting more quilting into the entire piece than I had originally intended, so that it would keep its shape. I used a variegated thread in the triangles around the yellow center, which helped the light and dark of the fabric blend better.


 I wanted  some extra leaves in the black triangles . Instead of using fabric, I decided just to quilt them in, which gave a lighter effect. For the inner horizontal yellow border I added a center flower based on the flowers in the black triangles, with feathers on either side.


 I used the variegated thread on feathers of the yellow border, which I quilted in a continuous line around the quilt. If I use this motif again, I will use a solid thread, as the light portion of the thread disappears against the yellow background, even though it is a different color. I didn't pay enough attention to that all important consideration of color value.


I can't believe how much I like this quilt, which I might never have finished without this Guild Challenge. The romantic look of it was perfect for February. Tonight I get to show it off at the guild meeting, and then they pick the number of the UFO we will work on next. I wonder which one it will be?

6 comments:

Jade said...

Ooooooooooooooooooh! LOVE this! The colors are awesome--reminds me of stained glass in some places.

Crafty Green Poet said...

beautiful design and gorgeous colours!

Gina said...

Congratulations on a great finish to a UFO! And Weasley is adorable in the video below.

SixBunnies said...

It's absolutely perfect! I love your work!

bunnits said...

Really nice. Your machine quilting and free motion work amaze me.

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

Gorgeous! Gorgeous! Gorgeous!
You totally rock at fmq!