Quilt Testers In Action

Quilt Testers In Action

Pages

Friday, June 25, 2010

Friday In The Garden

We had the payoff on the yucca this week, although the storms the other day did do some damage to the blossoms.


The Black-Eyed Susan's are in full bloom in a lot of places in the garden. I didn't plant any here, but they seeded themselves, along with a green-eyed variety called Irish Eyes.


The butterflies should be happy, because we have milkweed. This is a named hybrid, but I can't find the name right now.

 

We also have lots of Butterfly Weed, most of which is self-seeded. Over the years I have put quite a few native plants in the garden, but they are starting to get out of control. I think some decisions are going to have to be made over the next year.


But, the main event in the garden this week is the beginning of the daylilies. Most of my daylilies have come from Oakes Daylilies, a place I highly recommend. There are so many choices, the plants arrive quickly, and they are vigorous and healthy. I've been buying from them since 2003.

Out back we have one called Over There, which is quite vivid. It is in shade in this picture, so you don't quite get the full effect of the color.


Around front we have Highland Cranberry, a rebloomer. Actually, I mostly order rebloomers. The flowers tend to be smaller, but they happen over a longer time in the garden, and I like that.


Also out front, a reblooming red called Frankly Scarlet. Don't you love that name? I have to admit that I am sometimes seduced by the names of the plants!


My favorite daylily, Miss Amelia,  has also started blooming. We have this one in several places in the yard. I love the pale yellow color, and it reblooms like crazy.


I love this because it is a great plant, but also because of this lady.


This was Miss Amelia Earhart. She was our second rabbit, and she came to us from a Massachusetts Chapter of the House Rabbit Society. She had airplane ears, and lots of attitude. She could be quite grumpy, and you should have heard her thump at my mother-in-law! She crossed the bridge in 2006, and we miss her still.

1 comment:

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

Miss Amelia was a most adorable girl. I know you must miss her.
I need to get one of those yucca plants.