Quilt Testers In Action

Quilt Testers In Action

Pages

Sunday, June 27, 2010

Some Sad News

I have some sad news to share with you. Ginny has been diagnosed with cancer, and is unlikely to be with us much longer. We found this out over a week ago, but I couldn't bring myself to write about it. I kept hoping I would wake up and find out that it wasn't true.

She had a lump removed earlier this year, which our vet didn't think looked to be a problem. Then she had that "infection" on her lip, where we thought Weasley had bitten her (sorry, Weasley). Once she was  on antibiotics, however, the spot began to change in appearance, and grow quickly. Even before we saw the vet, I knew what he would say. In the two days that we waited to see him, half a dozen more spots popped up, mostly on her face.

The location and size of the lumps make it impossible to remove them. My vet took a tissue sample, and consulted with a vet/doctor cancer guy, who was surprised to find out that the rabbit the sample came from was still alive. Apparently this is a fast moving cancer, that is transmitted by virus in the wild rabbit population. We don't take our buns outside, but I do feed them our nice organic veggies from the garden. Maybe her exposure came from that, or from her hay, or maybe we tracked something into the house, I don't really understand how this happened. I'm hoping to find out more.

In the meantime,  her activity level has slowed down. She is having some pain at this point, which is giving her difficulty eating hay, and drinking from her water bottle. We are giving her Critical Care as a supplement to help keep things moving through her system.  She is still eating her pellets well, and still comes running when I open the vegetable drawer. 


She is still attempting to eat the entire brown chair (actually a chair and a half-she's always been an overachiever!).


And, she is still putting her head down for pets every time we walk by.


We will keep her comfortable for as long as we can, and then do what's right. As for Weasley, the vet recommended separating them, but I don't see the point. They have been drinking from the same bottle, eating the same food, and grooming each other for Ginny's entire life. If he is going to get this illness, he probably already has. He's never done well when separated from her, and I worry about that.

Anyway, now you know what is happening here. I'm praying for a miracle for my girl, I hope you will say one for her also. And give your bunnies an extra nose rub from us.

5 comments:

Mary Grace McNamara said...

Karen, so sorry to hear such sad news about your furry little friend. Enjoy her while you have her.

MGM

birdlady said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your little Ginny. I know you love your buns dearly, and I hope you truly enjoy the time you have with her.
MaryLynne

Lisa said...

Oh no! I'm sorry pretty girl. Keep being a happy bun for as long as you can.

At least being a progressive disease means she won't have to suffer as long :-/

Our bestest snorgles to you, and please pass on to Weasley as well. He's going to need a lot of them. Let us know if there's anything we can do.

Katie :o) said...

Oh no!!!!! I'm so sorry to hear about Ginny!!! I hope and pray that she stays well and comfortable for a long time yet! And that Weasley stays well! E-hugs for you and your buns!!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh Karen, I'm so sorry to hear this.