Quilt Testers In Action

Quilt Testers In Action

Pages

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Day 7 of AED, With No Idea

My mind was as blank as my paper when I sat down to create today. I decided to rip a random page out of the old dictionary, and see if it could give me any ideas.

 
Let's see what I found....

 
No, Bunny People (and Bunnies). I decided that wasn't great for a wider audience! Farther down the page, I found this.

 
I decided to make a piece about the time a couple of winters ago when a flock of Cedar Waxwings showed up in our yard, to feast on the red berries of the Maple Leaf Viburnums. They arrived on the Oldest Ones birthday, and stayed for three days. It was a little bit of magic.
 
I started the collage by writing about that event with a gray marker. Then, I daubed on some thinned-out paints in wintry colors. Over that, I drew rough images of the shrubs, and the neighbors nearby pine tree with pastels.

 
Next, I printed out some of my photos from that time. As you can see, my printer was running low on ink. After thinking about it, I decided to use them anyway. 

 
In addition to the photos, I used some painted papers, and a quote from Thoreau. It may be sacrilegious as a New Englander, but he's not my favorite read. This quote seemed to work, though.

 
Finally, back in with pastel pencils to add detail to the images, and a little extra blue paint around the edges, and it was done.
 

Not bad for starting out blank! Here is the quote:

"Live in each season as it passes;
breathe the air, drink the drink,
taste the fruit, and resign yourself
to the influences of each."
-Henry David Thoreau

3 comments:

Unknown said...

As beautiful as this collage is, as a Rabbit person, I would love to have seen a collage inspired by cecum.

Little Miss Titch said...

A perfect piece Karen with the onset of winter,lovely,Xx Speedy and Rach

Jade said...

*bwahahahahas at cecum being the first word you saw*

How bunny is that?! :D

Love the cedar waxwing--it's a fascinating bird to me, and I really don't know why.