Quilt Testers In Action

Quilt Testers In Action

Pages

Monday, November 5, 2012

The Old Man Himself

Weasley made it into today's collage. I really do miss the Old Man. Funny how such a little creature can have such a big presence.

This is the original.

 
Then I played around a bit in Photoshop Elements. This has extruded edges.

 
This one has glowing edges.

 
And finally, watercolor filter with ink outlines.

 
That was fun. It was tempting to keep playing, but I wanted to get this posted. I also wanted to ask a question. If you have experience with collage, perhaps you can help me solve a problem. How do you keep your papers from buckling or wrinkling? Is there a trick to this? Leave me a comment with your advice.
 
See you back here tomorrow, with yet another collage.

7 comments:

J Bamman the southern sunshine girl said...

Did you scan the original or take a picture- now that I see this I want to play in photoshop with a painting I did this week but it is too big to put on my scanner. I have not played in photoshop for awhile,not sure my version has these tools. I found you with the Creative Every Day

bunnits said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
bunnits said...

(didn't proofread the first attempt)

I love this collage with Weasley. I know you miss him.

Some thoughts on the buckling problem, but probably not much help. It seems the weight of the paper and the adhesive don't always work together for me. My best results have been with heavier papers and archival glue stick. Unfortunately, much of the stuff I like to use is on lighter weight paper. Paper buckles as a result of shrinkage when it gets wet then dries, so I try to stay away from more liquid glues. The different layers and types of paper all shrinking to different degrees can really go crazy. However, decoupage medium like Mod Podge or Anita's and acrylic medium seem to be okay, but mostly I've used them on stiff backgrounds with heavier papers or applied the paper to canvas.

Crafty Green Poet said...

lovely collage, such a lovely way to remember Weasley.

I'd agree with bunnits about using a glue stick rather than liquid glue.

Unknown said...

Try watercolor paper to prevent the buckling. It is very thick and absorbent and has the weight to handle pasting, taping, mod podging, etc.

I was wondering when Weasley was going to make it into your art...

Little Miss Titch said...

this is a KEEPER too like the speedy one,love this,xx Speedy and Rach

janice smith said...

LOVE your collage and how fun to manipulate your image in Photoshop. Looks great!

As for the collage question, I have the best luck with gel medium. Large areas can still be a challenge, though. Running over the area with a brayer can help.